The most in-demand jobs right now are in the fields of data science, computer engineering, artificial intelligence, and machine learning.
If you’re one of the millions of people who find yourself unemployed right now and you’re seeking a new job or career path, you may wonder how you can pivot to a technical career in one of these growing industries.
The good news is that you don’t necessarily need to return to college or sign up for courses at General Assembly or Lambda School. Below are some FREE online courses that you can use to gain the necessary skills.
- Go to Stanford: Take Stanford’s Computer Science 101 course online for free. Learn the basics on computers and code, how computer hardware works, and more. Click here for more information.
- Go to UCSD: Through Coursera, the University of California San Diego is offering a free online course that teaches algorithms through programming. Click here for more information.
- Go to MIT: The Massachusetts Institute of Technology offers a free online course with videos covering the mathematics of computer science. This is incredibly in-depth. Click here for more information.
- Udacity Course: Once you have the basics down, advance to this free intermediate course on data structures and algorithms in Python. Click here for more information.
We recommend doing the above courses to get a good understanding of the foundations of all the different types of software languages and applications and how companies utilize them. Just remember, software runs everything from gasoline pumps to Facebook. Here are some other options, too.
- Code Academy: Self-paced learning with teaching assistance available as needed. Great tool used by many to learn a wide array of programming languages. Info at Codeacademy.com.
- Udemy: Another well known self-paced learning site that is very popular. Info at Udemy.com.
- More Resources: This site – TeachYourselfCS.com – has additional links and tools to help self-starters like you sharpen your skills.
If you’re trying to break into a technical career and you want us to review your resume, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.